11 – 17 September is Te Wiki o Te Reo Māori // Māori Language Week.
The event has been celebrated in New Zealand since 1975, in an effort to raise awareness of the language, and get New Zealanders to embrace te reo Māori and use it more.
This year’s theme is ‘Kia ora te reo – Let the Māori language live‘. There are lots of ways to take part, celebrate and ensure te Reo has ‘ora’—life, health and vitality.
Here are just a few:
- Learn from the many resources at Te Taura Whiri i te reo Māori
- Join one of the many events across the country
- Gather the tamariki for a screening of te reo version of Moana
- Take inspiration from the 600 people who have signed up for Mahuru Māori, speaking only te reo this September
- Help Google Maps get it right with Say it Tika. The Vodafone NZ initiative asks for your assistance in correcting Google Maps pronunciation of Māori place names